Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dear Amy;

I tried to write this in a comment to your comment but it deleted before I could finish writing or post. So I figured I'd dedicate an entry to your recent comment.

My Family.

My whole family is big... even our dogs. 

My mom: I love her to death but she's such an enabler. Once in a while I like to enjoy a soda. I like to buy them on my own just buy one at a time because then I'm not tempted to down three in a day or spend a lot of money I don't have buying more than one. Once in a while, I ask my mom to buy me one and she'll get one... then two... then a six pack. I know she does it because she wants to make me happy, but she doesn't understand it. When I tell her not to buy me anymore, she'll laugh and be like "doing this again?" Well yeah. Kinda. I'm really trying. 

My dad: he's diabetic and is supposed to be watching what he eats and how much. Recently he's taken himself completely off all his meds, refuses to go to the doctor and has been smoking more and more and more. He's a PB Cup fiend. He doesn't know how to take small portions and often, because mom wants to please him, she lets him get his food first and he takes so much there's barely enough for anyone else. He's big into the sugary stuff. Cookies, cakes, doughnuts. You know that kind.

My brother: doesn't really live here anymore, but growing up he was the same. He was picky and so most nights it was chicken nuggets, burgers, steak, pot roast... you know what I mean? Which is fine but at the same time we were never really exposed to all the other stuff out there.

I can remember being in elementary school and we'd spend our weekends on the boat on the lake. Mom and I would be laying on the back while we made our way down the Erie Canal and she'd just say, "We're going on a diet. You and me. We're going to drink water and eat veggies and fruit. We'll be skinny mini's." That usually lasted until lunch time or dinner. Or when someone opened the cooler and took out a pepsi.

Every night we always got some kind of snack before bed. Usually it was a dish of ice cream. Friday/saturday's we had pizza and wings and popcorn and soda. Soda used to be for special occasions... like Christmas. Holidays were a whole 'nother mess. We'd have these "Happy Fizzy Parties" where mom would cut up cheese and put out chips, pretzels, peanuts, dip, pepperoni... etc. They were always about being together and sharing in family time but looking back it seemed more like it was about the food.

My family has got to be one of the biggest culprits of wasted food. Every week mom and dad go grocery shopping, but they buy things we already have in the pantry. We have a lot of canned goods/boxed goods and condiments in the pantry that have expired or have multiples. They've gotten in the habit of opening something... using it till there's maybe one serving left and then opening a new one. It's so irritating because at any given time there will be three bottles of ranch, two giant mayo jars, two bags of lettuce -- one brown and wilted, 2 to 3 cartons of ice cream in the freezer and a ton of hot dogs. I'm waiting for them to go away for a day so I can clean out!

I lived on my own for a while and I did good. I lost 23 lbs in one summer... mostly cause all I ate were popsicles but it was only because it was hot, I didn't have AC and it was just what I wanted. My pantry had some canned goods and boxed goods and a lot of baking. My fridge was mostly bare other than essentials and left-overs and the same with the freezer. I used my crock pot a lot and made hearty stews and saved them and I usually finished a loaf of bread before buying new. Moving back in with my parents was a huge shock to me after that. I get so disgusted sometimes and it's like asking them to clear off a shelf for me to keep my stuff is like asking them to stop the world from spinning. I didn't think it was that big of a request but honestly, it took 3 years just to get a spot for a bucket in the cupboard. At one point I had cleaned off the top shelf of the fridge and lined my stuff (milk, yogurt, cheese etc) along the wall and kept to myself, but every time I opened the fridge it was all moved around and shoved to the back. I spent my hard earned money on the food and then it got lost in the back and wasted.

When I was with my ex, we struggled horribly with finances. It was a huge mess and there were times we had to decide on paying rent or buying food. We were even going to the food cupboard just to survive. It gave me a new appreciation for what I had and what I was given and it angers me that they can be so careless with it... especially since my mom lost her job and we've struggled making ends meet. 

I try to make my own foods sometimes and I try to share it but it's so hard. It's almost like they say, "You can live here... but you can't". If dad's asleep on the couch, which is more often than not, you can't make any noise. If it's not that then they're picking on you to the point that it's like... just forget it. They don't realize that sometimes they take it too far and hurt feelings, but you're in the wrong if your feelings are hurt. 

I wanted to get a mini-fridge and keep it in my bedroom. Just something I could keep water in and maybe mini-ice creams or ice cream sandwiches or popsicles and yogurt. But the wiring in the house is messed up and it more than likely blow the whole thing. I had a wooden tray that I painted and I put it on top of the fridge for my snacks... but the many bags of pretzels and potato chips have found their way into it. Honestly, if we were to throw away EVERYTHING... all the junk food and all the crap... I'd be fine with it. I don't ever really want it... but it's that mindset that something is there and I'm going to eat it. 

An unhealthy living situation and I feel like there's no way out of it. I have a small wicker basket in the pantry where I keep some canned goods and bread crumbs and some other little things and when I went to get something out of it... someone had filled it with bottles of chemicals and dog shampoo. I'm at my wit's end and the only way to stop it is to move out and into my own place. But I have a hard time with that because of my credit.

I like to work out. I like to walk/run and I have DVDs that I enjoy, but my parents always make fun of me for doing it. They think they're being funny but instead of mocking me and picking on me why not throw me a thumb's up when I'm finishing my walk on the treadmill. Or how about trying to work out WITH me. I have no space of my own and my bedroom is too small to do anything in it... although I was doing C25K on just a small bath rug on the floor next to my bed. 

I feel so alone in this fight. I know I have supporters but they all seem so far away. I need someone I can push and who will push me. Who will encourage me and make me work for it. I know I can do this, but sometimes circumstances make it all that much harder. I'm not even allowed to keep a cutting board and measuring spoons/cups and a food scale in the kitchen. How am I supposed to succeed?

Anyway... I took some photos in hopes that you will see what I am talking about.

This is my fridge/freezer. I didn't get pics of the drawers in the fridge but they're full too. The two boxes of popsicles are mine and yes, there's about 6 packs of hot dogs in the freezer door alone!

In the top picture, the black "box" is my "snack space"... the other basket is full of bags of chips and popcorn and pretzels. The middle picture shows two packages of cookies and a double fudge chocolate cake. Add a pack of xtra large blueberry muffins and a box of doughnuts too please! The bottom picture is of all the bread we usually have. There's 3 bags of hot dog/hamburger buns, two loaves of white bread, pringles and Italian bread.




The top left corner is the mini-freezer. Usually it's full of frozen meals and ice cream... and more hot dogs. The top right and bottom left are of the mini-fridge. There's mostly snapple in these pics but only because mom and dad haven't gone to walmart and bought the pepsi and coke.




This is our pantry.
I didn't take pics of the cupboards in the kitchen... 

But now you know what I have to contend with. I wish there was some way to get through to them about what they're doing and that they're not only hurting themselves but me as well. 

Someday.... Someday... Maybe... *Sigh*


Happy Losing!

3 comments:

  1. Aw honey...I REALLY feel for you! (and thanks for this post...how special to see one "dedicated" to moi!)

    I GET IT!!! I DO! After reading this post, seeing the pictures, your image of "hopelessness" makes so much sense.

    While I am on this journey myself in my home and have support NOW ( and that took a huge fight with my husband )I do still feel so very alone.

    He gets that I WANT to do it, but perhaps not why. I fight very hard with "cravings" and if it's in the house...I WILL EAT IT!!! My willpower becomes zilch and I get the chips, the licorice, etc. Even thought I don't live at home anymore, my father still sometimes tried to love me with food. For example, we went to see his brother and brought me home sponge toffee. I tried to ignore it for 3 days until finally I HAD TO HAVE IT!! I had a couple pieces and then put the rest in the garbage. I didn't really enjoy it while I ate, but it was there, so down the gullet it went!

    I will tell you this...to me, it seems like you are doing the BEST YOU CAN, with what you have!

    I'm sorry that you have to face these struggles, but I am sure it will straighten itself out. I'm sorry that your family doesn't "get it", for both your sake AND theirs!

    I will support you from afar if that helps. Add me to facebook, e-mail me, whatever! I run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday...I can check up on you for those days! Tell me what/if I can do to help you! By helping you....I help myself! I have come to realize that!

    Any comments I make or things I say, are not meant to be mean..just honest or perhaps another side of the coin. It's so hard in writing, because a person's tone is not implied, but my heart is in the right place and I know the struggles so well!

    I think of all my fellow weight loss bloggers every day and wonder how they are doing...and you are on that list!

    Chat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely appreciate your support and encouragement. I would love to be ::workout buddies:: even it's from afar!

    I have never taken your comments in a mean or nasty way. I understand how sometimes things come across in the wrong tone through written communication and sometimes with my own over-sensitiveness, I can sometimes take things the wrong way... but I haven't gotten that from you.

    I'm glad that you are finally getting the support that you need as well. This is a struggle that I've learned I simply cannot do on my own.

    I will support you the best that I can and if there's ever anything you need, let me know. I pray for you in your journey and I wish you nothing but the best and success. We can and we will do this. We were made for more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thank you for this post. An amazing insight on your daily battle.

    I don't think parents truly understand how they affect their children and sometimes the hurtful comments they make are more from a place of hurt than an actual intent to hurt you.

    I know it's hard for them to see you trying so hard. I'm sure it's as if you're telling them their choice of lifestyle sucks (and between us here on the blog, we do know it sucks). Being confronted by it in your actions must be tough for them.

    But you - you can be strong. You can continue to do those things you know will give you a healthy lifestyle - those things that will allow you to live a long, satisfying, fulfilling life... despite what they may say to you.

    Don't give up. Recommit every day.

    Oh - and maybe think about carving out a food niche in your own room... a place where you can store your own breads, measuring cups and spoons. Things you can pull out easily when you need to use them and then wash up quickly and put away so you are not messing with their kitchen.

    Consider going for a walk outside when your dad is sleeping and you're not allowed to do anything that might wake up.

    Finally, you have the internet. Use it to your advantage by picking and choosing food from the excess they have and adapting it to make it healthy. It can be done!

    You can do it.

    Amy and I know you can. :)

    ReplyDelete