Monday, May 28, 2012

Ahh, Soda. 

... My Arch Nemesis. 

... ... My rival. 

... ... ... My Achilles Heel.

... ... ... ... My Addiction.

For as long as I can remember, soda has been hindering my life. Yes, my life. When I was little, soda was saved for weekends or special occasions. And even then, it was only one maybe two.

The older I got the more it got. 

Recently (and by recently, I mean about two/three years ago) it got to the point that one would turn into two... which would then turn into three until I was having about 4 day. Going out to McDonald's it was always the super sized cups. No ice. Then, I decided to give it up.

The first time I gave it up I started on New Year's Day and went until July. Not too bad. I was pretty proud of myself. I tried it again the following year and did about the same. Last year, I made it all the way to the end of August when I had my heart problems. 

This year, I have made it until the middle of May. I ended up with a stomach bug and my mom told me to drink some pepsi to help get some potassium back. I suppose... I only had two and then I had a Dr. Pepper the following day... And then I stopped drinking it again.

And the holiday weekend rears it's ugly head. I've been craving it for a while now and I kind of, sort of, well... I gave in. I just wanted ONE cherry pepsi for dinner last night and one for today. No luck. I had to buy a 6 pack (because the box - o- cans would have taken up too much precious room) of really tall 2-serving bottles. I was hoping that if I just put one in the fridge at a time that I'd be okay and not go crazy.

Last night, I opened one up, got a glass out of the cupboard and poured about half into it and went along my way for dinner. It was good and it was just enough. A couple hours later, I wanted a snack. I got some pretzels and poured the rest of it in my cup and I was satisfied. 

Maybe -- just maybe -- I won't have to give it up COMPLETELY if I can learn to limit myself. If I can condition myself to just have maybe ONE serving at a time or just a can. When I think about it... it truly is an addiction. For me, it would become obsessive and I would feel like I HAD to have it. Now, I'm learning I can co-exist with it and not go crazy.

Soda... I come in peace...

Happy Memorial Day! Thank you to those who have served... are serving and will serve! God Bless all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment